FAQ CVC | Electrical FAQ Tips Salisbury NC

Electrical Frequently Asked Questions and Tips

FAQ CVC | Electrical FAQ Tips Salisbury NC

Power saving Tips

  • Unplug unused electronics. Standby power can account for 10% of an average household's annual electricity use.
  • If you're still using that old desktop, recycle it and switch to your laptop. If you use your laptop two hours per day, you'll save $11 over a year.
  • If you have electric heat, lower your thermostat by two degrees to save 5% on your heating bill. Lowering it five degrees could save 10%.
  • Avoid using the oven in summer – try salads, smoothies or barbecue. You'll reduce the heat in your home and save on your home cooling costs.

Electrical Mantainance Tips

  • Test your ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) to ensure they are working properly. These outlets have a button for you to push that will tell you if their protection is still valid.
  • Inspect your outlets and plugs to make sure they aren’t overloaded.
  • Do you have outlets that regularly spark when you plug something in? Or do you have outlets that no longer have enough tension to securely hold a plug? If so, don’t delay; immediately have an electrician replace these potential dangers.
  • Inspect your electrical panel for anything that seems out of place. If there’s anything loose or buzzing, those are signs you may need repairs or replacement.

Eletrical Wiring Tips

  • Pulling plastic-sheathed cable through holes in the framing is a lot easier if you straighten the cable out first.
  • Save yourself a lot of headaches by identifying the wires as you install them. It's a lot harder to figure out which wires go where when they're covered with drywall.
  • Use a non contact voltage detector to check every wire in the box or area in which you're working. Always check the tester on a wire or cord you know is live to make sure it's working before you rely on it.
  • It's much easier to remove the sheathing before you push the wires into the box.

Electrical Warnings

  • Occasional tripping can indicate simple overloads. Try plugging the appliance into a different circuit. If a circuit breaker trips frequently, you should consult an electrician.
  • If you feel a mild shock or tingle when touching an appliance, a ground fault in the appliance or improper electrical wiring may be the cause.
  • You should occasionally check the area around your ceiling light fixtures for warmth because not all fixtures are well insulated.
  • A sparking electrical outlet may indicate a short circuit, water exposure or aged equipment.

Frequently asked questions

When you are resetting circuit breakers or changing fuses too often. When you turn on your air conditioner and the lights dim in the room. When your lights flicker or go on and off. When you can smell electricity burning. When you have six electronic devices going into one outlet in back of your electronics center. When you have receptacle outlets overburdened by multi-plug strips. When a three-prong plug needs a two-prong adapter. If you have to run extension cords to plug in electrical devices.
Most states call for 100 amps minimum, but with all the new electronic devices, air conditioning and electric heat, I would suggest 200 amps especially in new homes. This also gives you some space for future additions. This is not a job for an unlicensed person to attempt. In most cases it involves replacing everything from the service loop (this is the wire that extends from the top of your meter to the utility tie in ) up to and including the main panel.
At the present time most states allow you to do whatever you want in your own home. But, doing electrical work yourself is dangerous and could result in costly repairs as well as making more problems within your home’s system. How much are you willing to risk to save money? There is a reason why it takes so much training to become an electrician. Do not make a mistake by taking electricity lightly, even the smallest job could be a safety hazard. Why take a chance. Get a professional to do this work.Also In some states the homeowner can pull his own Electrical permit for work in his single family home, what he does not know is that in case of damage or fire caused by his work, his homeowners insurance will not pay, they will only if the work is done by a licensed Electrical Contractor. You should check with your homeowners Insurance Co., and they should sign a document or something to this effect to acknowledge this when they pull a permit.The most dangerous time is when you tell yourself. This is easy. I can do it myself. Why should i get an electrician? Then, when you don’t remember where all those wires went or your hair is standing straight up, you say to yourself, “Well maybe we better call someone to straighten up this mess.” Now it will cost you double what you thought you were going to save in the beginning.


Did you find what you need?

Get in Contact with us and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Contact us